Live Skills impart knowledge in children that aids them in comfortably adjusting within the social circles to which they will be gradually exposed in daily life and that keeps on extending as the child grows. The children will surely find a handholding guide in the Life Skills Worksheets for adults that can help them sail through smoothly in life.
The torchbearer for children
Lessons that are taught in school are mostly designed to enrich the academic knowledge of children. The growing up years would require many more things to be taught to children that would help them blossom smoothly in the society. Each day is a surprise to them as they encounter new situations and people. It can make children aware about such situations before hand so that they are comfortable in dealing with them.
Worksheets for high schools are based on daily living activities. Emphasis is given more on exposure and understanding rather than learning. The activities include reading charts, recipes, schedules and completing forms. These may be taught verbally by using interactive means to make it attractive.
Modules, activities and benefits
Some of the modules covered by Worksheets for students could include:
• Airports and Airlines – Children learn that traveling by plane saves time and is popular being cheap and easy. Ticketing and related travel tips like check in, boarding etc are also discussed.
• Banking – gives idea about what bank is, how they work, what they offer and how to open account.
• Clothes – gives idea about shopping malls, marketing and entertainment.
• Clock and watches – teaches the importance of time in our life and why we should respect it.
• Community buildings and places – to expose children to the social structure, expose them to the police department, the fire department, the library, playgrounds, parks, courthouses, shopping areas etc.
• Dentist – Makes the child aware about health issues and personal care.
• Emergencies – How to react in an emergency by calling the Helpline number.
• Families – Gives ideas about the larger family including grannies and grandpas, parents, siblings, aunts and uncles, cousins etc.
• Food lessons – different kinds of foods, their origin and what is good for us.
• Housing – Kinds of houses people live in, town homes, apartments, duplexes, condominiums etc.
• Household chores – Need for clean homes and how to maintain it with various household products.
• Grocery Store – What they sell – household supplies, food, beverages. How the materials are displayed in the stores.
• Medical clinic – Gives idea about medical services available at clinics.
• Names – how people can be identified.
• Post Office – all bout letters, packages, stamps and money orders.
• Recreation – Activities like, camping, hiking, golfing, visit to the zoo that help to relax.
• Restaurants – Place where prepared food is available.
From the above it will now be clear that skills take a holistic approach in making children aware about the public and social life that they are going to enter in phases as they keep on growing. The benefit is that children would be prepared and feel comfortable to adapt to the situations.
Some of the activities consist of mixing among a cross section of children and involving them in role-plays. They may be asked to play dates. This activity has become very popular particularly among those afflicted by single child syndrome as it helps them to acclimate with other children an also encourages their social and emotional development.
The name game activity intends to make children realize the entity behind a name. Children in a group speak about themselves along with their names. They will realize the importance of knowing other people’s names and learn how they can remember names by linking it to the activities of that entity.
For enabling children, earn their rightful place in society play a very important role. That children will become socially active is a major benefit. It will also develop self-control and discipline. They will come to know the techniques of reaching out to the world and develop a positive attitude in overcoming the odds, which are but inevitable. Skills curriculum will act a torchbearer that can throw light upon areas that the children would have to traverse one day.
Essential Life Skills For All Students
Anyone who wishes to achieve their full potential at the workplace and achieve optimal job functioning, he or she must possess some essential life skills. This should start right from the education system where all students, more so those with special needs must be taught the life skills that will help them in securing good jobs in jobs and live a meaningful life. Unfortunately, millions of individuals with learning problems don’t get the chance to secure meaningful employment. Statistics show that most students with disabilities who either graduate or drop out of high school earn low salaries (Edgar, 1998). This is not a true reflection of these students as most of them have the ability to learn the needed life skills and become responsible members of the society (Rusch & Phelps, 1987).
Why We All Need These Life Skills
Life skills are a broad range of knowledge and skills which help an adult live an autonomous life (Brolin, 1989). Most of the disabled students still have certain needs that are not met. Just like the rest, they need to be taught the essential life skills that will help them live their daily lives independently and take their own destiny in their hands. With a curriculum that includes the academic, personal, social and occupational aspects of life, this is all possible.
Daily Living Skills For Everyone
In future all students, including those with disabilities will marry and take care of their families. Therefore, they might as well learn how to handle their finances, manage their homes and take care of their personal needs.
One of the important life skill is management of personal finances. These students should be able to count money, transact business without being exploited, keep records, come up with a budget, save and invest their money. They must be in a position to pay their bills, pay taxes, spend wisely and demonstrate financial stability.
These individuals also need to take care of their personal needs with little or no help from others. Personal hygiene is essential as they must dress themselves appropriately, access health care, perform daily chores, prepare their own meals and avoid substance abuse. Safety skills are needed for their well being as they should be able to detect and avoid hazards that may cause injury. Safety awareness entails observing safety signs, identifying unusual smells and sounds that could mean danger.
Productive social interaction is also an important life skill. Students with special needs have to know how to establish and maintain healthy, mutual beneficial relationships. They have to know how to interact with different people, have good interpersonal skills, make and keep close, meaningful friendships, both personal and professional.
Once these students are well conversant with the basic life skills, they can now be taught how to explore different occupational opportunities and choose the appropriate one. Depending on their skills, abilities, and strengths, they should identify the job category that best suits them. They must learn to observe proper work ethics and appropriate work behavior. This way, they can earn a living, maintain their homes and live an independent life that every human being deserves and has the right to.